Classy Cooking

Classy Cooking
This Months Cook: Giada De Laurentiis

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Thai Red Chicken Curry






A few days ago I was craving Thai food, so I decided to cook some for myself, on the count that my favorite Thai restaurant is rather pricy and about thirty minutes from where I live. So I thought of my favorite meal on their menu, Red Chicken Curry, and decided to do a version of my own. I'm first going to give you the ingredients and brands I used, then I will take you step by step through the cooking experience I had. It was a Great Experience!

Ingredients:
1.5 lb Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast. (I used Harvestland from Walmart, because it is all natural and so healthy.)
1 8oz. can of bamboo shoots ( I used 2 cans, it depends on your preference. I used Dynasty sliced bamboo shoots from Walmart.)
2 cups of Jasmine Rice ( I used Rice Select from Walmart.)
1 tsp. Curry Powder ( I used Great Value from Walmart.)
2 11oz. bottles of Red Curry Sauce ( I used Thai Kitchen from Target.)
2 13.66oz cans of Coconut Milk ( I used Thai Kitchen from Target.)
1 Red Pepper ( I used organic brand from Target.)
1 bag of fresh Green Beans ( I used organice Brand from Target.)
1 large White Onion ( from Target.)
1 fresh red chili, sliced diagnolly ( I used Dried Thai Chilies from World Market.)
2 tbsp fish sauce ( I used Thai Kitchen from World Market, the only place other than an Oriental store to carry it in the area.)
1/4 tsp sea salt ( I used whatever was in my cabinet.)


The Experience:
1. Cooking

I got home and began my preparation I cleaned the chicken and pounded it. I got my rice started, because it would take the longest time to make. I started going through my bags and pulling out all my ingredients, I pulled out my new dining set and realized one of the rice bowls was broken directly in the middle! HOW DID I MISS THAT! So I got right back in my car and took it back to World Market and replaced it. Finally got back to the kitchen and began on preparation, yet again. I chopped all of my vegetable and put them all into one bowl. I then cubed my chicken into small, bite sized pieces. I then got my Wok heating on high. When my Wok was heated, I poured in one can of my coconut milk into my Wok and brought it to a boil. I then added in my 2 cans of Red Curry Sauce and brought it again to a boil. Next I added my chicken cubes, I let the chicken saute in the milk and curry sauce until it was white and cooked all the way through. After I confirmed the chicken was thoroughly cooked I added in my vegetables. When all the vegetables were almost perfectly done, I added in the second can of coconut milk and 2 cans of bamboo shoots. On top of that I added in 1 tsp. of the curry powder for flavor. This is just what I prefered for my familie's needs, but feel free to be liberal with any of these amounts. I brought all of my flavors to the right taste and the meal was finished. 25 minutes and a whole lot of flavor. I served the curry in my rice bowls and put the rice in a ball on the dinner plate with an fresh orange slice garnish, I put soy sauce in the sauce bowls and it looked amazing!

2. Desert
For desert I wanted to do something inexpensive and along the Thai cuisine. So I did my own take on the desert: I bought Market Pantry Vanilla Wafers from Target. I crushed the Vanilla wafers, enough to cover the bottom of a medium circle bake pan. I melted 1 1/2 sticks of butter and poured it evenly on the Vanilla Wafers. I bought Bryers all natural vanilla ice cream and a large mango, (both from Target.) I put the Vanilla wafers into the oven for 10 minutes on 325 degrees just enough to get it stuck together. Then I chopped the mango up to the seed and put the pieces into the vitamix and blended with 1 cup of boiling hot water for 1 minute and a half. I then put that on high on the stove and added in 1 1/2 cups of sugar 1 tbsp of honey, 1 tbsp of baking powder and 2 tsp. of all purpose flour. I whisked constantly for 5 minutes until I reduced my heat to low. Then I placed my Vanilla Wafer crust on the plate, scooped some ice cream onto the crust, crushed some Vanilla wafers on top of the ice cream and drizzled the mango dressing onto the crumbled topping and let it run over onto the plate. Served with a fortune cookie garnish (La Choy fortune cookies from Target) and decaf coffee. SUCCESS!!!

3. The Outcome!
When the food was presented to my family, I don't think that they could believe what was sitting in front of them. The first bites were taken and the gratification was enough to make me smile a whole lot. Basically this was a great experience and I will definitely be doing this recipe again!

Recipe:
- Wash the chicken, slice diagnoally, then cube.
- Pour 1 can of coconut milk into wok. Bring to a boil over medium high heat, stirring constantly. Add the curry sauce, stir until boiling. Add the chicken and saute until it turns white and is cooked through.
- Add the remaining can of coconut milk, follow with the bamboo shoots. Season with fish sauce and bring back to a boil. Sprinkle with chilies. Turn off the heat. Arrange on a sercing dish and garnish with a thinly sliced orange.

Serves 4.

Thank You for joining me in 1 Classy Cook's Kitchen. I hope you enjoy this recipe, but more importantly I hope that you enjoy the experience and the outcome!

Thank You to the wonderful providers of the ingredients for this meal: Walmart, Target, World Market, and Kohl's.

Salute

No comments:

Post a Comment