Classy Cooking

Classy Cooking
This Months Cook: Giada De Laurentiis

Saturday, February 13, 2010

Cannelloni







I am very much Italian. It is in my blood, I look it, and let's face it it is my favorite cuisine to cook. If all I do is share my love of Italian food with the world, I could die a happy woman! I just want to say that Italian food, never gets old, there are many variations, tastes, and you can use the same ingredients to make a lot of different recipes.

Cannelloni is delicious recipe, one that I did not grow up with, but when I found it, I fell in Love. Disclaimer: If you do not like getting your hands dirty while cooking, I suggest not making this recipe! If you choose not to make this one, please continue looking through the archive: I'm sure you will find one you like!

What You Will Need:
* 12 cannelloni shells
* 3 (8oz.) cans of tomato sauce (traditional)
* 2 tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
* 1 lb. of ground beef
* 1/4 cup of chopped onions
* 1 clove of garlic (minced) (optional)
* 1 (10 oz.) package of frozen spinach (thawed)
* 1/3 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
* 2 tbsp. milk
* 2 eggs (slightly beaten)
* 1/2 tsp. dried leaf oregano (crumbled)
* 1/4 cup of butter
* 1/4 cup + 2 tbs. all-purpose flour
* 2 cups half & half
* 1/8 tsp. white pepper
* 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese (grated)

The Experience:
1. Turn oven on to 375 degrees.
2. Cook cannelloni according to directions (al dente preferable).
3. Combine tomato sauce and 2 tbsp. Parmesan.
4. Spread lightly (olive oil) in 13x9 in. Baking dish.
5. Spread 1 cup of tomato sauce in baking dish over olive oil.
6. Set baking dish aside as well as extra sauce.
7. Cook ground beef, onions, & Italian seasoning in a large skillet until meat is browned.
8. Drain beef well.
9. Add spinach; saute for 3 minutes.
10. Add 1/3 cup of Parmesan, milk, eggs, & oregano; stir well.
11. Stuff cannelloni shells with beef mixture.
12. Place shells in 13x9 in. dish on sauce.
13. Melt butter in Heavy saucepan over low heat.
14. Add flour, stirring until smooth, cook for 1 minute.
15. Gradually add half & half over medium heat until thick and bubbling; stir in pepper.
16. Pour cheese sauce over cannelloni.
17. Pour extra tomato sauce on top of cheese sauce.
18. Sprinkle mozzerella on top.
19. Bake uncovered on 375 degrees for 20 minutes.

I really think if you enjoy traditional Italian Food, you will LOVE this!
It is really fun to make, it is really delicious, and it is a great way to get the family around the table and enjoying!

Salute

No comments:

Post a Comment